Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Music: The Congress - The Loft Tapes EP


Over the course of my time writing for The Steam Engine, I've had the privilege of getting to know the bands I cover on many levels. This is the third piece I've done about a band called The Congress. This time around, it's focused around a cover EP, in which the Colorado jam masters went to a Masonic Temple (a loft) and laid down on tape, reel-to-reel, seven thoughtful, beautiful, and downright vivacious soul covers. 

The selections include: The Impressions, Doris Day, Marvin Gaye, Van Morrison and Carole King and a little tune you might recognize titled, "Killing Them Softly?" It's really a neat masterpiece that was constructed well, but not overdone. The way music should be. Without computers or too much thought. RIGHT FROM THE GUT! Good way to kick off what should be a soul-filled festival of silly fun, summer. Let's get it! 

My full review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment